Although climbing is an outdoor activity where social distancing is mostly feasible, it inevitably involves some close contact with other climbers. We share and handle the same equipment and hold onto the same bits of rock. This brings obvious risks of virus transmission so it is vital that we all follow procedures that will minimize these risks whilst enjoying climbing together.
We strongly recommend that club members follow the advice of Mountaineering Ireland whenever you climb. At Sligo Climbing Club official events these procedures are mandatory. The main highlights are:
- Adhere to all current Government guidelines and restrictions.
- Alert the club before the event if, in the past 14 days, you have travelled abroad, had any of the symptoms of Covid-19 or been in contact with anyone who has Covid-19.
- Avoid car-pooling with people who are not part of your household.
- Observe social distancing while climbing and use facemasks when this is not possible.
- Apply hand sanitizer before and after each climb.
- After the event, quarantine your equipment for 72 hours, or wash it appropriately, before going out again with another person.
You can download this advice in full from the Mountaineering Ireland website.
Be safe and enjoy your climbing!